Learn to Quilt Beginning Quilting Thursday December 15th 2022 10am - 12pm
This beginning quilting class will teach you the basics of quilting and help you make a quilt out of 3 yards of fabric using the pattern and fabric of you choice. We have an array of patterns to choose from. Attend any or all classes. No experience necessary.
Class fee: $15 per class
A SERIES OF 6 CLASSES. CLASSES OFFERED:
2ND AND 4TH TUESDAYS 4:30PM-7:30PM (some scheduled changes may be necessary)
2ND AND 4TH THURSDAYS 10AM – 1PM
CLASS FEE $15 EACH ($90 FOR ALL 6) MAY BE TAKEN INDIVIDUALLY) At Times due to Becky’s schedule classes may be moved to an alternate Tuesday or Thursday
We have changed our beginning quilting classes to make them more flexible, and fun. Instead of all of us doing the same pattern, we are now working from a series of books which have several patterns each for making "Three Yard Quilts". These patterns are available at the shop, and there are kits already made up, or you can pick out your own three fabrics. The patterns make a quilt that is a nice size for a baby quilt, or a small throw. Becky or someone else at the shop can help you enlarge it if you want to make these easy patterns larger too.
We are also no longer trying to have everybody on the same schedule for what they are doing. This has been working out very well, with people coming as they are able in their busy schedules, and working on whatever stage they are.
The Steps In Making a Quilt
1. Planning things and basic safety. Deciding on the pattern, getting the fabrics, collecting the notions, like the rotary cutter, mat, pins, etc. Deciding on sewing by hand, or using a working sewing machine.
2. Learning how to safely cut the fabric with the rotary cutter into strips and needed shapes. Sewing the basic units and blocks. Talking about sashings, and general construction.
3. Putting together the center of the top.
4. Adding borders, if wanted.
5. Sandwiching and quilting the quilt.
6. Adding the binding, or finishing the edge of the quilt in some other way.